Shelternet (www.shelternet.ca) is an online resource for abused women and their friends and family. It has advice on how to help a woman who is living with violence, information about shelters across Canada, tips on how to hide your internet activity, and much more.
VictimLinkBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across BC & the Yukon 24-hours/day, 7 days per week. The phone number is: 1-800-563-0808. You can also log onto their website at (www.victimlinkbc.ca). This service provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence.
Ministry of Children and Family Development (www.gov.bc.ca/mcf) They provide a wide range of programs and services in communities across British Columbia.
BC/Yukon Society of Transition Houses (www.bcsth.ca) They represent 94% of all shelters in BC and the Yukon. They also represent the 56 Children Who Witness Aubse counselling programs across British Columbia.
Ending Violence Association of BC (www.endingviolence.org) This provides coordination and support to Specialized Victim Assistance Programs, Sexual Assault/Women Assault Centres, Stopping the Violence Counselling Programs and other similar programs.
Alcohol/DrugInformation and Referral Service 1-800-663-1441. This is for information on alcohol and other drugs, the names and locations of local counselling services, and of self-help groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, AlAnon, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Narcotics Anonymous and others. 24-hour service 7 days a week.
Ridge Meadows Early Childhood Development Committee (www.ridgemeadowsecd.ca) This website is designed to provide Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows and Katzie communities with up-to-date information on programs, projects, services and resources for families and service providers that meet the needs of children prenatally to 6 years and their families.
Justice BC (www.justicebc.ca) This website provides criminal justice system information and support in British Columbia. It is designed to help you access the resources and services most important to you.
Community Network (www.resourceyourcommunity.com) This website aims to be the most complete online guide to community, social and government agencies and services in the communities of Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and the Katzie First Nation.
Phone List for Community Resources
- Abbotsford: 604-852-9099
- Coquitlam: 604-540-2221
- Fraser Valley East Region: 604-820-1166 or 1-877-820-7444
- Richmond: 604-279-7070
- South Fraser Region: 604-951-8855
- Vancouver: 604-872-3311 or 1-866-661-3311
- TTY Service: 604-872-0113 or 1-866-872-0113
- Community Law Advocacy Program: 604-467-6911 ext. 210
- Legal Services Society & Lawline: 1-866-577-2525
- Maple Ridge Family Justice Centre: 604-466-7345
- Adult Mental Health Resource Centre: 604-467-6055
- Canadian Mental Health Association Outreach Worker: 604-771-2451
- Maple Ridge Mental Health (accepts self-referral): 604-476-7165
- Programs through Community Services (to register): 604-467-6911
- Ridge Meadows Hospital: 604-463-4111
- Ministry of Children & Families: 604-466-7300
- Ministry of Children/Families Aboriginal Child Welfare: 604-467-6911
- Ministry of Housing & Social Development (for Maple Ridge): 604-664-0135
- Ministry of Housing & Social Development General Line: 1-866-866-0800
Other Useful Numbers
- Caring Place Shelter (Salvation Army): 604-463-8296
- Friends in Need Food Bank: 604-466-3663
- Iron Horse Youth Safe House (also outreach): 604-466-2665
- Poison Control: 604-682-5050
- Ridge Meadows RCMP Non-Emergency: 604-463-6251
- Victim’s Services: 604-463-6251
- Cantonese Help Line: 604-270-8233
- Mandarin Help Line: 604-270-8222
- 1-800-SUICIDE: 1-800-784-2433
- Youth online chat: www.YouthInBc.com